Thursday, November 9, 2017

Beacon Hill Dollhouse Construction: Progress

miniature house construction
Here's the progress so far!
I can't get over how quickly this house is coming together!

First of all, I married a good man.
On a scale of 1 to 10, his excitement over the girls' dollhouse was a 0, when it first arrived.
Because he's a great guy, he started helping me construct it in the evenings, just so that we could see each other. He understands that I have a bit of a time crunch because I want to finish it by Christmas. I can't find any other people out there in the big wide world who constructed the Beacon Hill, as their first dollhouse, in under 2 months. I stopped looking after a while because it made me depressed.

Because I hope am going to finish it by Christmas and I want it to remain a surprise until then, I have to work on the thing in our dark, scary basement. AND only at night after the girls go to bed. I hope my little ladies appreciate this!

miniature house assembly
Living room flooring made from skinny sticks
Anyway, my wonderful husband has been helping me and because of his help, there's been tremendous progress on the house! I'm really feeling encouraged now. If you're reading this because you're thinking about assembling this house but aren't sure if you'll be able to finish it in a reasonable amount of time, go for it!   It really isn't that bad. And that's coming from a woman with the attention span of a ...what's that over there? SQUIRREL! plus the follow-through of a...[Come up with something witty to put here before publishing post].

 See what I did there?

I've primed and papered all of the first and second floors and have installed most of the flooring.

For the living room, I really wanted a hardwood floor but disliked the peel and stick fake wood, so I made a (removable) wood floor out of skinny sticks. This was luckily a great decision for a couple of reasons.
First, it's removable and pretty flexible, so I can switch it out in the future. I should be able to slide it in and out even with the trim in place. The second reason I like this flooring is that I was able to do this during the day, right under their adorable noses, so that saved some time.
Without context, the flat skinny sticks glued to a funny shaped piece of paper looks nothing like a dollhouse floor.   My girls are very accustomed to seeing mommy work on strange craft projects so there were very few questions asked. They even helped a little. Muahahaha!
Beacon Hill doll house first and second story
The kitchen flooring still needs to be glued down.

 I made the floor by cutting out a sturdy piece of paper to fit the floor exactly. AND I MEAN EXACTLY. I used watercolor paper because that's what I had on hand.  (Afterwards, I realized that a flattened cereal box would have been cheaper to use.)
I then glued the sticks, in the desired direction, to the paper with wood glue. I chose to place the sticks with the boards running the same way as the longest wall-if this makes sense. See pictures. I did this for no other reason than the flooring installer for our real house said that was pretty standard.
 I made sure to stagger the sticks like they would with real boards in a real house. It sounds time-consuming but the laying and gluing process really only took about a half hour. Use sharp pruning shears or a utility snips tool (I think that's what its called.) to cut the sticks if you're doing this yourself.
 After the glue dried, I applied wood putty over the entire thing and scraped off the excess. After the putty had dried, I took my power sander to it until my arm was tingling from the elbow down.
Then I stained it and placed it in the house. It isn't glued in at the moment. I'm trying to decide if I should stain it again before varnishing. Um, thoughts? Indecision is the only thing slowing me down, as usual.

I plan on putting wood flooring in the entry/dining room and maybe the second-floor hallway. Who am I kidding? The second-floor hallway is getting carpet. It's waaaaay easier. I already installed the stairs. 
The bathroom wainscotting was accomplished using the same skinny-stick on paper method. I applied skinny sticks horizontally for the chair rail and the trim. I primed and painted them without using wood filler.

skinny stick wainscoting
Bathroom wainscoting made from skinny sticks
One area where I ran into a bit of a hiccup was the stairs. The treads and risers are different sizes on different floors. It says specifically in the instructions not to mix them up. Guess what I did?
It took a lot of time to re-separate them out by dry fitting and trial and error. I still ended up with one short stair tread on the top of the second-story staircase.
Also, if you're making this house, don't forget to stain the underside of the treads if you're going the staining route.
miniature house construction
Up next: I need to glue the third floor and decorate it.








I'm doing it! I'm really doing it!







Here's a link to previous posts on the Beacon Hill projects:

Beacon Hill box has arrived!

Beacon Hill Construction DAY ONE post



Additionally, here are some great blogs I found with more details on building the Beacon Hill.





And of course, I can't leave out the Greenleaf site,  http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/

The forum has been very helpful!









No comments:

Post a Comment