Thursday, October 26, 2017

Our Beacon Hill Miniature House has arrived!


Today’s the day! It has arrived!
Through perilous journey, the box survived!
Trumpets sound, symbols clashing!
Ripping tape, teeth gnashing!
Look inside, nothing’s broken.
More shocking words n'er were spoken.
Imagination, awake anew.
Let miniature obsession ensue.

Oh. Yes. 
It was that exciting. It needed a poem.

I’m  The girls are getting a miniature dollhouse for Christmas (provided I can assemble the glorious thing in time).  To all those not in the know, Greenleaf dollhouses can be a bit...challenging. Is that fair to say?

 But I do enjoy a challenge! 

And I'm not about to break my streak of biting off more than I can chew. 

I’ve always had an affinity for teeny tiny things. When I was little my dad would sometimes take me to a nearby miniature shop and we would spend a long time looking, with fascination, at all of the miniatures. It's such a nice memory. He would always let me pick out one miniature to buy. While I demolished an abundance of my plastic toys, I cherished those delicate little miniatures. I still have them today. 

So when my oldest daughter started showing the same interest, you had better believe I was all over it. It didn't occur to me until after I purchased it that she might be young for a miniature dollhouse, but she's an extremely conscientious young lady. She has always been very careful with her toys so I'm not worried about it. My two and a half-year-old Barbie decapitator will need to be watched...

I spent an extravagant amount of time deciding which dollhouse to buy. Sadly, I spent less time deciding on my real life house. Erm. That’s embarrassing. 

Anyway, of course, I wanted to buy the Grandmomma of them all, the majestic Queen Anne by Real Good Toys (grammar cringe). Alas, I have neither space nor moolah to spare for her. After stalking hobby shops and deciding on the Greenleaf brand, I vacillated between the Garfield and the Beacon Hill for an inordinate amount of time. The girls themselves made my mind up. 

Grab the popcorn and pull up a chair.

I was literally moments away from pulling the trigger on a Garfield. I had been ignoring my husband for two nights in order to find the best deal. I had found it. Someone an hour and a half away had admitted defeat after a decade and posted their “complete unassembled Garfield kit” to Craigslist.
I had drafted an email. I even found a backup and had it sitting in my cart, should the Craigslister prove himself or herself a fraud. There was also the very real possibility that my husband might have contemplated divorcing me for being crazy enough to drive that far for a dollhouse and I would have to abandon the plan. I needed contingencies. What I'm saying is, it was going to be purchased. 

Here’s where it gets good.  I had a show on TV in the background and the girls happened to wander in. The show may or may not have been suitable for children. 
Okay. 
It wasn’t.
Not even a little.
But I couldn’t, for the life of me, find the flipping remote.  Who has the time or brain space for keeping track of remotes during the house buying process? 
Anyway, I got lucky with the TV show because it was a particularly boring scene. Their little eyes glued to the take-it-or-leave-it scene and wouldn’t you know it, the Beacon Hill was sitting in the little girls' room on TV!  When it flashed on the screen, both of my girls gasped.

Message received.

I deleted my email, emptied my cart and began my search for the cheapest Beacon Hill I could find. Divine intervention? You be the judge. 
Oh, I get chills. 

Fast forward to today and here she is. It’s like a fairytale, isn’t it? 

Stay tuned. 

No comments:

Post a Comment