Friday, March 24, 2023

Bedtime Chapter Book: The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe + Activities

We've changed our bedtime routine around here to include read-aloud novels.  I've started reading a chapter (or two) a night from The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe.
I didn't know how read aloud, pictureless books would go over with the girls. Last year I tried to read them excerpts from Pooh Corner (a personal favorite) and experienced failure of "Pinterest: nailed it" proportions. They got up out of bed and literally left the room. Then when I asked them where they went, my oldest asked if they could just go to bed.  Point taken. 

Wait... WHY don't I read that book every night? She ASKED to go to bed... Why is this just occurring to me?  Maybe I should break out Proust!! Where's my dusty copy of Swans Way?
Sorry, off topic. 

Meanwhile, back at the farm.... we were reading a chapter book.  The girls still love picture books, of course, and we read them throughout the day but I wanted to introduce my oldest to the rich, enveloping fantasy world that evolves while reading a novel. It's what draws us in and keeps us coming back for more. It's the reason I'm still an avid reader even though I'm an adult and my life is so busy. It costs so little to pick up a book and read a few pages, but those few pages could change your life, or at the very least, the frame through which you see life. I hope that you will take the time for yourself and read some really quality books. And I hope to instill a love of literature in my children. 

So far, so good. The girls have taken to it really well. I was concerned my youngest (two and a half) would be utterly lost but she seems to be following along pretty well. She interrupts to ask a lot of questions but that's alright with me.  I think its great that she's really interested and working on comprehension. I think my four-year-old benefits from her questions too. We've already listened to the Magicians Nephew on audio but that was before I started the blog so we're picking up with The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe.

They're both fascinated by the storyline so far. They love the idea of another world beyond their wardrobe. We actually have an armoire in their room so my oldest is having fun pretending with it. I actually had my husband double check that it is adequately secured to the wall in anticipation of this. I gave no explanation other than to say "Because, Narnia".  Ha!   He totally understood. Good grief I love that man. 
Framed map of Narnia for the girls
 Anyway, I like to be an enabler and so I've decided to incorporate some Narnia related activities into our day.


MAPS:

We've been learning all about maps and globes so I scanned and printed out a copy of a map in the back of one of our books. I enlarged it and framed it to go on the wall in the girls' room. They got a kick out of it. We aren't sure what the locations are at the moment but that will come in time.
Also, I found a bunch of maps from a few of the different books on the Narnia website. http://www.narnia.com/narnia-maps-prince-caspian/

RECIPE:

I plan on making the official Narnia Turkish Delight recipe: http://www.narnia.com/narnia-recipes-turkish-delight/  Neat!

P.S. I'm not paid by Narnia. HA! I just thought it was a neat site.


SNOW DAY FREEZE TAG:

It's starting to get cold outside here and we're halfway into the book, but I think it would be fun to play freeze tag with them on the day of the first snow! We can pretend like we have been frozen like the poor characters in the book! Guess who will have to be the White Witch? Maybe I'll borrow my Mom's full length white faux fur coat and give the neighbors something to talk about! That's a fun mental image.
If you live in a warmer climate, I'm envious. I'm sure you can play "nice day freeze tag" instead. Harumpf.

No comments:

Post a Comment