Sunday, October 29, 2017

Free b and d confusion worksheet

My four-year-old has occasional struggles with b and d confusion. This is very normal for budding readers. When it first popped up, I asked my mom if it could be a sign of a potential problem down the road. My mom just happens to have a Master's in elementary education and has been an elementary teacher for over 40 years. She has an incredible wealth of knowledge and she's an extremely effective teacher. I know. I'm lucky.

She assured me, “Reversals are not at all unusual." As a first grade teacher, she especially sees kids struggle with b, d, p and q. She reminded me of my own issues with s and z. She added "Not every child struggles with it but it's pretty common. If a child is still reversing at age 7 or 8 (second grade age) then that can be a sign to look into possible dyslexia, especially if they're having trouble with reading.” She told me that our brains aren’t really wired to read the way we do and it simply has to be taught over and over until one day we just “get it”. She said just to work with my daughter on it with patience and not to worry.   

So, I set out on a hunt for fun, FREE worksheets on the subject, and not finding exactly what I wanted, decided to create some of our own. I’ve included them at the bottom of the page for you to download as well. (I personally do a little happy dance in my seat when I find free applicable worksheets. I want to spread some free worksheet love around.)






My daughter is quite fond of coloring and of searches of any kind, so I tried to incorporate the two. To complete the worksheet the child must color in all of the correct boxes to reveal a duck on the “d” page or a boat on the “b” page.

When she finished I asked her what the picture revealed and she said, “Boat! Boat starts with a b!” (Glad she could recognize it. It’s a bit, shall we say, pixelated. Ha!)

 The worksheets were a success at our house. She really seemed to enjoy her work and asked for more.  My two-year-old even got involved and wanted one. But mommy needs a break...Maybe tomorrow. 

 After just one afternoon of working on it, I noticed her reading fluidity improved on the words containing b, and d. Yay! 





 I hope your kiddos enjoy it as well! 






Click on the links below the worksheets to download.
                                                               
                                                                  b d worksheet 1


















3 comments:

  1. Great worksheet. Very creative. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These two downloads are the same. Can you put the "B" brown one up for #2

    ReplyDelete